Skip to main content

Taking a Mental Health Day


We've come a long way in terms of decreasing the stigma that surrounds mental health and illness, but we're far from it being gone completely. Our society places such a high importance on the biomedical model of health that to many still, physical illness seems more legitimate than mental illness. And while both can be equally distressing, there tends to be more sympathy given to those with physical illnesses, while mental illness is seen as a sign of weakness, as though it is something we should be able to overcome easily.

You may not agree with what I'm saying. You may think we've come a long way in empathizing with those with mental illness and we're much more understanding now. But ask yourself: would you ever call in to work and say that you won't be coming in because you're feeling very anxious? Because you're feeling so incredibly sad, you don't even want to get out of bed? Because something inside you feels incredibly wrong, even though you're completely stable physically? No. For the most of us, that isn't a reality. We'll call in and say we're feeling sick. That we have a fever and have been throwing up. Because that's something everyone can relate to and will understand how debilitating it is. You'll get a "okay, get some rest! Take care! Feel better soon!" and that will be it.  And while I can't speak for every employer out there, calling in sick saying you're feeling anxious or depressed will likely get a response of "pull yourself together, you're fine". Consequently, we feel obligated to either lie and say we're physically sick, or "suck it up" and go to work/school/etc. only to feel worse.

Similarly, no one says anything negative if a coworker takes some time off because of an injury, needing surgery or because of a serious physical injury. However there's always talk about the coworker who took time off to deal with depression, or any other mental illness really: "they're faking it", "they're just lazy", "how convenient, maybe I should be 'depressed' too".

This is something that has always bothered me. If we're encouraged to take such good care of our physical health, why not our mental health? And this is not something only for those suffering from a mental illness. This is for everyone. I am a firm believer in taking a "Mental Health Day". So much is expected of us and we are constantly so stressed. We put all of this pressure on ourselves to perform at the best of our abilities that we don't take the time to just sit back and be kind to ourselves.

Here is what I propose to you. One day, when you are feeling particularly stressed, run down, overwhelmed, what be it, take a mental health day. Check in with yourself. Let go of some of your responsibilities for that day. If there's something you really don't want to do, don't do it. Take a warm bath, read a book, do some yoga, watch a funny movie. Take care of yourself. We take so many measures to ensure our physical health, now do the same for your mind.

Comments

  1. Thank you so much <3 Awareness is so important. And thank you for sharing your experience, I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for you!
    Loving your blog by the way, so much positivity!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! We definitely tend to neglect our mental health in the modern world as we feel so pressured to keep up with all of our commitments and be active on social media. It's so important though, to step back and focus on ourselves sometimes whether or not we are plagued by something diagnosed by a doctor or just feeling extremely overwhelmed. Each and every one of us - those suffering with disorders or not - can get in over our heads and need to sometimes simply take a day and focus on ourselves.

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The BEST and EASIEST Waffle Recipe! (Blogmas Day 9)

When it starts to get chilly out, I find myself making waffles pretty often. In fact, our Sunday breakfast usually consists of waffles of some kind. And in my house, I'm the designated waffle chef. I have the best recipe for waffles that are truly delicious AND any lazy chefs dream; its all done in one bowl, with ingredients everyone has in their kitchen. Literally foolproof and delicious. Perfect for Christmas morning! Makes anywhere from 8-12 waffles, depending on the size of your waffle iron. Ingredients:  2 cups of All-Purpose flour 1 tablespoon of baking powder 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar 1/4 teaspoon of salt 2 eggs (beaten) 1 teaspoon of vanilla (but you can add another 1/2 teaspoon if you want a stronger vanilla taste!) 1-3/4 cups of milk 1/4 cup vegetable oil Directions:  1) In a big bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar and salt) 2) Create a well in the center of your dry ingredients and add your wet ingredients 3) Mix

1 Year of Covid-19: A reflection

  It feels like just yesterday we were all feeling the anxiety and uncertainty of a new disease that was spreading quickly around the world that no one truly understood yet. We were facing the first wave of cases, the fear of going outside and being around people and the first round of quarantines and restrictions.  It feels like just yesterday, but also so long ago.  I, and I am sure many others, am feeling a mix of emotions.  Sad for the loss of comfort we once had. Grief for all the lives lost and permanently changed. Thankful for my health and that of my family. Gratitude for the scientists and frontline workers alike, working tirelessly behind the scenes I hope that one day we can return to a new normal. I hope that one day I'll be able to go to work and not feel  afraid  to get too close to my coworkers and patients. I hope that no one will ever again have to face the end of their lives all alone. I hope that no one has their life cut short because of an insidious virus that

Blogilates Beginner's Calendar 2.0: Review & Final Update

I've officially completed all 28 days of the Blogilates Beginner's Calendar and firstly, I have to say that I'm pretty damn proud of myself, because it was pretty difficult but I stuck with it until the end. And I had fun in the process! So, how much of a difference does this calendar really make? Does it work? Here are my final thoughts. This workout program really works, but you need to work at it too. If you're going to half ass the workouts, eat badly and skip days, you really won't see a huge difference. I really did my best to stick with it and work hard at it and I really have seen a difference. The thing about Blogilates that I enjoyed is that you won't just see a difference in your body, you'll see a difference in your mindset and motivation as well. Physically, since I began the calendar, I lost 10 pounds and I feel so much stronger than I was before. My muscles, especially my legs are so much more defined than they used to be. Cassey als